Thursday, June 14, 2007

Night Hike!

This one was kind of spontaneous. I was so antsy-pantsy after finishing the Western Clinical exam tonight I just couldn't bear the thought of going home and facing all the dishes I haven't washed and floor-sweeping I haven't done because of... exams, yeah, exams...

So I called up Jen, who was also feeling antsy-pantsy, and when I suggested a night hike she thought that was a fine idea. I picked her up and we decided to hit Kenter, since neither of us had been up there in ages. Crossing Sunset I remembered that they shut that gate at 8, and we decided to take the little backyard trail that leads to the now-locked up OJ's Escape road. The neighborhood was crammed with cars--I mean crammed. As we inched our way gingerly toward the top looking for parking, we passed what looked like an unassuming house (for that ridiculously super-sized neighborhood, anyway) with a catering truck parked in the driveway, and figured...oh! There was loud Persian music blaring and what sounded like lots of rather drunk people having a very good time, or wev.

We got out and walked on up to the trail, discovered that the upper part of the trail had been graded flat and someone was building a huge backyard, encroaching ever further on our open space. It's really discouraging sometimes. The ridge was fabulous at sunset, though, and rather than climb up toward the water tower we opted for the closer little spur that overlooks all the houses, sat for a bit, then made our way down. The gate was still open, so we opted to take the road down. As we descended sharply and Kenter swung around to its intersection with Honeywood where we parked, the hillside dropped away, and we had a full, unobstructed view of the party house. I mean party compound. It was literally large enough to house an entire village. It was amazing. And it was all for someone's birthday. Seriously, the birthday medley lasted from this moment until about 5 minutes later when we finally reached the car. I guess it's all a matter of scale. We shook our heads.

Then back to Jen's for Duchess and cheese. And catplay. Which wore us both out. Finally time for bed!

No comments: