Thursday, June 21, 2007

Mercury Slams into Retrograde at Ramming Speed, Kitty Ate Mah Internetz Edition



No really, she did! Yeah, she's just trying to destroy the camera strap to the left, but she chewed through my data cable on Saturday.

So the last 2 weeks have been absolutely nutty and batshit crazy. Bat. Shit. Crazy.

Two months ago Zooey also chewed through my second cell phone charger in spite of me placing it in a far corner of the kitchen counter where she is not allowed. I should have known this would be a harbinger of things to come. Losing a teammate, gaining a teammate (OK, so that one worked out). Midterms were the biggest singing-W whatever whatever ever--in all my years (and I do mean years gentle readers) of taking midterms, or finals for that matter. How I got through them and managed to get passable results I will never know, nor will I look that cliched gift horse in the mouth. All I know is it feels like things have been falling apart right and left, I can't figure out which end is up in any direction (and not for lack of trying) and I'm sure I've been putting my underwear on backwards at least some of the time.

Work has been dematerializing, patients and clients have been no-showing, and the ones who do leave...less than I need to keep the aforementioned fierce creatures in the cushy dry-food-and-clumping-litter lifestyle to which they have become accustomed. I drop everything, (literally, lots of clean-ups on aisle 3 recently) and my wiry monkey brain will NOT be coralled for love, or money, or brain bananas, or whatever it's looking for these days. And on Saturday as stated above, Zooey finally succeeded in chewing up my 2nd data cable, disabling both internet and VoIP home phone for a few days (what am I going to do with you Miz Zu? I'd sell you to the circus but you're just so damn cute...lucky for you...)

And past people have been popping up like mad, and not just my past people but friends' past people too. I see people I haven't seen in 4 years during the seriously irregular intervals I go run trails. I see riding and bikeshop buddies I haven't seen or heard from in literally almost 15 years at a tiny, somewhat lightly attended bike race at which I work this last weekend. I reconnect with people I haven't heard from since high school who found my flickr or myspace pages. I run into parents of ex-boyfriends when I go to grab a coffee or quick bite with a friend.

Moreover, there just seem to be these subversive undercurrents and counterflows of energy, like there is all sorts of movement and tension and change just building up to critical mass, but below the surface where it can as yet only be sensed and not seen, sort of like the 1950's I guess. It's giving me a seriously prolonged case of the shpielkis. I hope I can last until August when I can finally run some of it out of me.

Is it just me? I need to ask my friend Karen; she's always hip to these things. She really quite blows me away, actually.

On the plus side, I got literally a year's supply (it just about fills up a pillowcase) of Clif Bar samples from the Clif Bar Guy at the race last weekend, and one of my favorite flavors to boot. Thanks, Clif Bar Guy!! Your generosity will be remembered during the coming months of hungry, busy clinic shifts wherein I can't even make a run to the student lounge microwave to heat up some leftovers!

1 comment:

pedro said...

the world, she's a small place. 6 degrees of separation and all that. i mean what are the odds that that person is on that trail, in that coffee line at that time? i know the answer and the odds are good, as good as when I picked up that coyote skull and brought is home to clean out only to find my neighbor has just, reluctantly passed it by.

strange new world.