Thursday, December 06, 2007

Pumpkin Scramble V Race Report



Race report and pictures are finally up at zdap.com If you've never done one of Kathryn's...ahem... "adventures" (read the race report for explanation) you should--she manages to put on the most fun yet grueling "kid birthday scavenger hunts" around, whether you are a complete novice to adventure racing or a seasoned veteran. I want to race so badly I ache, but the projected Backbone Scramble next summer sounds promising!

My first Pumpkin Scramble included bobbing for apples before passing a checkpoint. My second one began with the buses supposed to transport us to the remote start at 5AM not showing up and all of us having to cram into a Eurovan and a U-Haul instead. Then as we sat quietly in the dark on Topanga Canyon waiting for the race start a pickup drove past and a violent clang! of something flying off of it and landing 20 meters away from us woke us up (turned out to be a machete, and we reflected that it was right before Halloween)...There were plastic pumpkins and glow sticks marking the CP's, trails I had never seen before, a heavily bike-favored latter half of the race in which I discovered that you may be drooling and exhausted in the afternoon but that usually means you'll be the one towing your teammates and humping their gear through the wee hours, and in the end the 1AM paddle at Paradise Cove was cancelled, and I had the time of my life running up the beach laughing hysterically with my teammates because we were so tired we kept tripping. I did Kathryn's Two in the Goo spring scramble the next March and we began with a LeMans start in the form of an Easter egg hunt (one of a 2-person team had to find an egg in the bushes in order to grab their bikes and start the course) and ended up coming in 3rd with my partner Jason and winning some cool tocques.

Thank-you Kathryn for all the time and hard work you give to bring us these--you and your irrepressible smile are an endless source of inspiration!

No comments: