Saturday, November 17, 2007

Calling All Visionary Women

My friend Kevin emailed this link to Quicksilver's sponsorship project to support young women with kick-ass ideas and dreams to me and Jen, with the comment "You two are the most visionary women I know". Beyond whether or not I would be awarded such a thing, to even be thought of that way by others is not only one of the most uplifting compliments I've ever been paid, it's also a gratifying validation that my inner faith in myself and what I am trying to with not only my career but also my time on earth is shining bright and visible to others. It is confirmation that it is not my imagination that all of the threads I have been spinning all of my life--personal growth, spiritual development, intellectual achievement, etc. are finally beginning to pull straight from what seemed like a tangled and confused mass on paper into a rich, vibrant and cohesive living yarn. It is no accident that just about every day reveals another jewel of creativity or flash of inspiration.

Unfortunately, I am too old for the Quicksilver deal by about 4 years, but I know there are other opportunities for such support out there. Ideas abound. Wednesday night we heard a lecture from the man who brought Yin Care, a widely used and very classic formula in China, to the U.S. It has grown from a GYN remedy to have applications for derm disorders, burns, infections, periodontal disease and oral health, etc. And it all began because he was interested in herbs and wanted to visit China to see how it all came together. His passion was true and he followed it, and it ended up finding him.

The last Building Mama newsletter had news from my classmate Denise, who moved up to San Fran last spring to start her new practice life. Besides her more traditional practice settings, she also devotes a couple of days a week to doing ear acupuncture on sex workers in the city. Todd is teaching, seeing his own patients, working in a super high-end orthopedic practice in Manhattan Beach and is expanding his teaching to CEU orthopedic seminars. Andrea Thorpe, from whom my current given clinic moniker "hot shot" was derived, got the Tao of Wellness Fellowship, is teaching, and seeing patients upstairs with Julie Chambers. Kim just announced she is seeing patients 3 days a week in a beautiful integrative practice in Santa Monica, about one month out of licensure. Amy just happened to be passing through Long Beach one day, saw a cool-looking practice and went in and told them she loved the look of their place and could she please work there, and they hired her on the spot--she has more patients than she can shake a checkbook at (yes, I know I'm being ungrammatical. Deal.) They are all leading happy, balanced and abundant lives, and the most heartening thing is that I went to school with all of them not so long ago.

I am setting this down here if for no other reason than I will have an easily-found source for when I am getting too bogged down by the details and begin to lose perspective. It is out there, it is real, it is within close reach, if only one has the courage to seek.

No comments: