Tuesday, April 07, 2009

New York Fuggin' City

I've been here since Sunday afternoon. I kind of wish I had had more time to plan stuff, on the other hand I feel so tired because clinic starts at 7:30AM here, which is 5:30AM my time and let's just say that other than Saturday for BMS I haven't gotten up at 5:30 in a long, long time.

I'm staying in Harlem at the northeast corner of Central Park, where my former stepbrother Brian has been kind enough to put me up for the week with his two awesome kitties Jax and Cleo. I am happy that it is at least a quick easy train ride into the Bronx at the recovery center where we are being trained and certified in the NADA protocol. I didn't realize it at the time but apparently Michael Smith, who runs the program at Lincoln was one of the originators of NADA? Anyway, I'm loving being able to take trains wherever I want to go, as I always do. They make commuting SO much nicer than driving. And handier when you're from out of town and don't want to bother renting a car.

So far it's all pretty mellow, except for the Trader Joe's here, where I shopped today to get groceries for the week. The place is a complete zoo, longest lines I've ever seen, overcrowded, etc. Why there is only one open in NY I can't figure out. I did discover, by the by, that they open stores based on where they have warehouses, and so until they open a warehouse more accessible to Denver/Colorado, we ain't gettin' any, no matter how friendly the booze laws get. Ha!

Rosa Reyes runs the acupuncture clinic/program, and she is as good an example you will ever see of how to be gentle and generous and filled with lovingkindess but not get taken advantage of for a minute. I kind of wish I were able to stay next week and do my 2nd week of training and get it overwith, but oh well. It will give me a chance to do New York a little more right as a tourist, I guess. Hopefully I will see some museums with Brian tomorrow, and maybe finally get over to the trapeze school and/or a run around the park before I go home.

More tomorrow, totally knackered now.

No comments: