Thursday, June 12, 2008

Boulder Dispatch #1


So, I've been here for about 3 days now, and I really, really don't care if I never go home, other than to collect my kitties of course. I would have to get really, really good at riding bikes and climbing rocks and mountains, and running them, and wouldn't that totally suck? I can't believe how clear and clean everything looks, and just...uncrowded. I'm sure this town has its share of ass-hats as well, but so far everyone I've met (and Jamie knows LOTS of people being the beautiful and charismatic social butterfly that she is) has been pretty cool. And I know that I'm still in the throes of novelty as when anyone goes to any foreign country, and in about a month I'll probably be crying for the familiar (although not all of it, I guarantee). But still. What an awesome town this is!

I got in Monday night, and headed over to South Sun brewery where Jamie works to have a beer and wonder what to do with myself until she got off. As it turns out I didn't need to wonder much--I had hardly started my fragrant and herbaliciously hoppy FYIpa when a friend of hers who works at the legendary Neptune's Mountaineering walked in with a friend, so the 3 of us sat and ate and drank together. Shala is going to take me on my first backcountry ski adventure next Thursday before I go home! We got to go in and see Neptune's today, which has a climbing museum with some pretty amazing old gear and some quirky gross stuff like a preserved frost-bitten toe off one of the local mountaineers. They also have a bench made entirely from ice axes, with which I fell in love with instantly and want one for my future porch for sitting in with someone special after a long day of adventuring with dogs at our feet and beers in our hands and a setting sun in front of us.

Tuesday was kind of an overview day--we wandered about downtown, got some coffee, wandered some more, saw the exquisite Shambala Center, wandered some more, then when Jamie left for work I hiked back into town and saw Blindsight and bought a couple of books I'd been wanting. Yesterday we did mostly trip errands, and spent some time lusting after stuff in the Montbell store (especially these quilted down skirts. We did get to go to the local community acu clinic and have treatments, and the acu was very nice and very cool when I told her I was a newly minted grad and wanted to work/open a CA clinic of my own someday. Plus, since the insomnia is back it really really helped me sleep the last 2 nights. I did another monster urban hike around the south/east part of town. I was fairly knackered by the time I got home, and after washing dinner down with another fantastic beer offering from New Belgium (which we are going to visit in Ft. Collins next week--yay!) I was all in. I think I woke up with drool on my face this morning.

Now, we are putting the finishing touches on our packs to be ready for when James picks us up in the morning to go to Snowmass for 3 days of backpacking. We had a great day--breakfast at Lucille's complete with beignets, sealing James' tent, an intensely beautiful hike to Mallory Cave (closed for bat nesting at the moment) in which we fortunately discovered that the soles of my boots were ready to peel themselves almost completely clear of the boots within 2 miles of hiking (guess I get my wish and don't have to hike in heavy boots after all...hope it's not TOO snowy up there...). We finished by giving ourselves sushi bellies for dinner in town and then dispersing to pack. I'm excited to take out the new pack--I wonder how it will feel after a few miles on the trail? Stay tuned...

No comments: