Friday, May 11, 2007

I'm an Intern!

How can I not blog about my first week of seeing actual, live patients? Actually, I was so wiped out last Friday I went straight to bed after dinner. So, it's been 2 weeks now. Man was it ever awkward! I mean, all my experience in bodywork, particularly 2 years in a spa setting working on an endless stream of strangers was helpful, but still. I guess it was like teaching my first class--even though I had been a substitute teacher for a year when I started my student teaching, it was exhausting and just awkward and weird in ways I didn't anticipate, namely how every little thing must be weighed, considered, decided, etc. Which takes time when you aren't practiced at it.

So. Everything took at least twice as long as I thought it would. And I thought I was fast with needles--hnhh! I talk too much, the patient talks too much (but then I feel foolish when I forget something obvious that my attending asks me as I present the case), sometimes the attending talks too much (or is busy supervising other interns), needles are tough to insert, there's lots of them to place, the patient wants a custom formula and there's no one in the dispensary to help make it up, etc.

But this week was better. And it is so much fun! Way more fun than smelly old classes, except for maybe Dr. Ed's Radiology and Lab Diagnosis class...(my other hallowed profs know I love their classes too, right?) Yet, I am tired, and I will definitely draw a sigh of relief when this term is over and almost all of my Yo San classes are too. And when hopefully my other cohorts will have blasted the entrance exam and join me, Miles, and Anne, and my other friends will be drawing sighs of relief over having put the state boards to bed, hopefully for good.

Speaking of bed, I'm due if I want to get up at 6 and go run up Paseo to the Hub tomorrow before work. Night.

No comments: